The Adventures of Lowa

Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ahhhh.

So today was a beautiful day. It was in the 60's here--I didn't need to wear a hat, gloves, or even a coat! Woohoo! :)

I went to brunch with Adonis, who I haven't seen too much of recently, and that was great. Then I returned home to get some work done (I still have to copy my scribbles of the french journal entry due tomorrow) and then went to school to see Suz' concert. I haven't been to a band concert since senior year in high school (6 years ago!) and it was fun. I really enjoyed this one Danielpour piece, and the Barber was funny. He was kind of thumbing his nose at the people he composed it for, and that was pretty great.

I then practiced and went to church, came back, ate a piece of chocolate for dinner (well sort of vacuumed it in my mouth as I changed into choir clothes), and sang a choir concert. I was a little nervous about the concert at the dress rehearsal, but it was really fun, and I enjoyed every bit of it. It was focused around the composer Joaquin Nin-Culmell--renaissance motets that he arranged, solo art songs and piano pieces he composed, and then two works by composers who were influenced by him. Of particular interest was the song cycle I was able to sing one movement of: Seis Canciones Populares Sefardies. I intend to include the whole set on my recital next year, as it is beautiful, sexy, cute, and exciting all in one. Gotta love Spanish music. :)

At the end of the concert I felt satisfied and warm. It reminded me of all the times in elementary and middle school when I would play in orchestra concerts with my friends, and then our parents would take us to the nearby Friendly's, where the service was always slow as molasses, but the ice cream was sooo good. Our parents would let us sit at our own table as they supervised from a few tables away (while we pretended we were old enough to be there alone). Those trips to Friendly's were a wonderful tradition--made me sad that we didn't go out after this concert...ahh, to be young again.

So, the best news of today: I heard back from Basoti, the summer program in San Fran I wanted to go to. I got accepted, and was given the understudy for Olympia in Tales of Hoffmann! Seems like lots of people have faith I can do that role, so I guess I better find some of that faith in myself! Also I was given scenes from Rigoletto and Rape of Lucretia. I am so pleased and excited. Plus living in San Fran for 7 weeks should be lots of fun. :)

Well, I need to get back to writing that french entry. Bleech. Too late for a decent dinner now, best I hop into bed after writing and just get to sleep.

Bonne nuit~ la Soubrette

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home