The Adventures of Lowa

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Life

Wow, it's been a long time. Things here are going pretty well. I suppose I should update in a list, to make it faster:

1) Ryan, Dave, and Tony's recitals (in that order) went really well, I think. Overall, I was pleased with the way things went, and hope that all of the composers were too. I think they were, which is fabulous. Makes me think of asking more people if they need soprano soloists for their compositions (during summer vacation, perhaps).

2) as a result of singing in Tony's recital, the conductor, Hebe, asked me to solo for a reading of Mahler 4's last movement. I know, Mahler doesn't seem like it should = me, but for the purpose and the general feel of the movement, I should be ok. It's not partularly high at all, but it's light and beautiful. Yay!

3) Carmen is going really well. We made it through the week of musical rehearsals, and yesterday I had my first staging (making it a 13.5 hour day at school. phew). Of course, when you add staging, inevitably it falls apart a bit musically, but hopefully we'll be able to reign it in soon.

4) lots of fun tidbits with Carmen--we're doing flamenco moves on stage, and alas, although our moves are not complicated, we need to learn how to hold our bodies (shoulders as low as possible, but shoulder blades tight together, almost touching, elbows up, etc.). They're going to provide us with a teacher, who has already started working with the Carmens. Also, I hear they are paying for us gypsies to get spray tans before dress week. Hahaha. Craziness. It's all too fun.

5) As for outside school musical things, nothing is happening yet. I have won no competitions, and am still waiting to hear back from Opera North (who absolutely has nothing to offer my voice type this summer anyway) and Brevard (I'd have to pay). Wheeha. Doesn't sound that great, but hopefully I'll be cast at Brevard in something good, and get almost full scholarship (one can dream...).

6) so, this summer I'll probably be in Bloomington. It'll give me time to study up on things I'd like to sing/new music/opera roles, plus time to read, and I think Ms. Wise might want me to house sit in the beginning of the summer.

7) Spring break is next week, and although I'll be here in town, I'm very excited about it. I'll have to spend some time making sure I've got the Carmen internalized, and spend a lot of time working on my recital rep (My recital will be Sunday, April 23rd, at 1pm in Ford Hall). I think I'm perhaps 70% memorized, but not a performable-memorized, if you know what I mean.

8) This break with also give me more time to spend with Andy, who I suppose I've been officially dating for almost 3 weeks. :) It's been wonderful, and I already feel quite attached to him. Since we've been becoming better friends over 4+ months, this probably isn't a surprise.

9) Mom and friends and family are coming to visit over the weeks of my recital and Carmen, which should be lots of fun. Yay Leanne, Mom, Karen, Diane and Richard, and Rachel! :)


ok, time to get on with my day. I've got rehearsal from 4-6, and then a CVE concert tonight, so it'll be another long day, with a slight reprieve around lunchtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home