The Adventures of Lowa

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Say Goodbye to the Easy Life

Yes, free time will be leaving me soon, and won't come back for months. Suddenly I feel attacked on all sides by auditions and concerts and projects, and I just want a day off. Funny, because I just had a nice long weekend. I went to 2 fun parties, and shocked a lot of singers by being my crazy self and dancing and being fun (I guess I've been very quiet recently). Plus I ditched out on the idea of superbowl and managed to take a great bubble bath and start reading a fun and pointless book. I think if I can just collect myself every Sunday evening amidst warm scented bubbles, all might be well. Then again, it's tuesday and I'm panicking.

In true Laura form, I'd like to make a list of things going on within a month of today:

Bain scholarship competition (tomorrow)
CVE concert (tomorrow)
Brevard Audition (Saturday)
Ryan's recital (next wednesday)
Opera North Audition (next Friday)
Arts and Letters competition (next Saturday)
Dave's recital (next Sunday)
The start of Carmen rehearsals (2/27)
Tony's recital (3/1)
Indianapolis Matinee Musicale competition (3/4)

HOLY CRAP. Yeah. I'm a bit worried, particularly because it's really hard to prioritize music in my practicing. I mean, I've pretty much got to stop thinking about my own recital rep until at least the end of Feb, and these competitions and auditions mean I've got to keep up old pieces and really try to make my main arias fresh and exciting (because so far they haven't gotten me anywhere). Alas.

I know that I am just worried because it looks like there are so many things to do, and once a few of them are over, things should be ok. Perhaps I just went a little overboard on the commiting myself. I mean, I hope I don't have to be committed soon, if you know what I mean.

I should balance out and list some good things I've been noticing recently:

-I've got myself more organized for better voice lessons/practicing
-I think I'm making good vocal improvement at a good rate
-seems like the composition teachers like my voice (I've had silly 2 measure solos in Sandstrom and now Dzubay, and both professors were crazily nice to me...I mean, I figure the 2 measures don't even need to garner a smile, much less a compliment or a thank you)---I'm dreaming perhaps that if I'm stuck here over the summer, my performances in Ryan, Dave, and Tony's recitals (plus these little silly 2 measure things) will get me attention in the composer professors circle, and maybe I'll be asked to record something important for them...haha. One can dream :)
-I have discovered deep water exercise at the gym, and absolutely love it. LOVE IT!
-I'm not stressing about that guy anymore. If it's not going to happen, it's ok! Something will work out one of these days. Until then, there are many important things to think/dream about.
-I've been cooking good meals recently
-I've got a fantastic accompanist who is playing for all of these crazy competitions/auditions. She is just unbelievable. I am so happy that we're back together. I couldn't do any of this without her support.

Well, I'm off to rehearsal. That list made me feel pretty good. And, if this singing thing doesn't work out in the end, I've decided I should become a professional organizer. I mean, I make a mean list, and dream of having lots of money to be able to raid places like staples and buy all kinds of organizing tools...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home