The Adventures of Lowa

Saturday, February 18, 2006

It's been a while since I've written, but it's been due to the fact I've been up to a lot instead of having nothing to say!!!

I'm almost done with my 'holy crap' list from almost two weeks ago. I've got 2 competitions left and 2 recitals. Ok, so I'm half done. I'll keep you posted with the audition results--I have no idea what they might be, and what I'll do with them once I hear back. We'll have to see.

So, since I last wrote, I spent an amazing amount of time working on another American Song analysis paper, this time on George Gershwin. These papers take forever, and although the class material is really fun and enjoyable, the out of class work with add up to dozens and dozens of hours of work, if not more than 100 hours. Ok, those of you reading this that aren't music students, I can understand if this doesn't look like a lot of time. However, when you're knee deep in music to practice, memorize, and perform, it's plenty. Anyhow, Anna Jacobs and I present the next class paper on Kern, sometime within 2 weeks. Eek.

Recently I've been having wonderful musical experiences:

1) Sitting in Song lit class, listening to and following with a song that Dr. Penhorwood wrote for his wife. The text was provided by a friend who wrote a beautiful poem representing how he viewed the couple, Dr. P wrote the music, and then he and his wife performed it together. The dedication was "To us, Connie and Ed". It was really touching, and I felt so strongly about how it would be one of the best gifts/best moments to share.

2) Watching a concert on feb. 14th of cuban music. The concert itself was fine, but one of the duets worked particularly well. Both performers looked completely relaxed, and yet they were full-out singing, acting, holding each other, dancing, etc. This made me feel as though I was watching a snippet of someone's personal life, just underscored with music, which is often how I feel.

3) Ryan's recital. There were so many great people involved, and I was reminded of how many aquaintances I have that I would like to get to know better. I was really proud of how everything turned out for Ryan, and really enjoyed the whole concert. When he played the piano for his piece (what I could see from the balcony) I really felt as though it represented an important part of who he is, and just watching him play, as though nobody was watching, was fantastic. I could close my eyes during some of the other pieces and just try to feel the music swirling around me, and then watched as the performers played together, making all this wonderful sound---and it's all just part of their normal daily routine.

So, these 3 experiences this past week really made me feel so lucky to be in this career path. What we all do is so amazing--and day after day we practice and interact with each other, creating an emotional catalyst from something that perhaps has not had its voice just yet. Of simply had a different voice before. And the act of creating something from a blank slate, a composer starting with one idea, and giving it life...I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I felt so compelled to try to say it. Thank you, my dear precious composer friends for giving us such a wonderful gift.

That said, I must get ready for my competition this morning! Later today we have the next to last rehearsal for the Dave's song cycle. The more we rehearse, the more I enjoy it, and I really hope that we do it justice on the concert Sunday. (4pm, Auer Hall!)

Have a wonderful weekend! -L.

1 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh where, oh where has my Lowa gone?
oh where, oh where can she be?

:)

suz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home